Discharge Instructions - Surgical Abortion
GSDS strives to provide high quality care and as part of this we would like to provide some general instructions for you to follow after your procedure and leaving the clinic:
For the next 24 hours you should not:
- Drive a vehicle, ride a bike or operate complex machinery.
- Make any important decisions
- Sign legal documents
- Drink alcohol
You should contact GSDS if any of the following occur (immediately - do not delay!):
- Severe pain not controlled by the medication suggested
- Continuing bleeding that is heavier than the heaviest day of normal menstrual period and saturates more than one pad an hour.
- Chills or fever with an oral temperature of 37.5 degrees or more
- Offensive discharge
Post Procedure Care
- Diet: return to a normal diet. If you feel nauseated try fluids only and contact us if it does not settle down within 24 hours.
- Pain Relief: You may take over the counter relief that you are familiar with. DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN (or any analgesic containing blood thinning agents).
- Antibiotics: If you have been ordered antibiotics, ensure you get your prescription filled and start as soon as possible. Please ensure you complete the course of tablets as directed.
- Post procedure check-up: You will need to see a doctor two weeks after surgery.
- Activity: You can resume normal activity but no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for the next 10 days.
- Sexual Intercourse: No sexual intercourse for two weeks.
- Contraception: If you are starting on the Pill, you can begin on the corresponding day. REMEMBER to use alternate contraception for the first month otherwise you may fall pregnant. Please discuss contraception alternatives with your GP. Your pregnancy test may remain positive for days and sometimes weeks after your procedure.
- Personal Hygiene: Do not use tampons whilst bleeding post-operatively within the first 2 weeks – you must use pads only. You can expect the bleeding to last up to 14 days on and off. Expect your first period 4-6 weeks following your procedure. Have showers (not baths) for the next two weeks. No swimming for two weeks.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any problems or concerns. Our Staff are specialists in this area and can provide expert advice.
Need to book an appointment?Contact Us
Or have questions visit www.abortion-faq.com.au